Friday, April 5, 2013

Our Transitioning Thoughts About the Food We Eat

Whew, what a whirlwind!  It all started when a friend on Facebook shared a diagram about how margarine is made.  For a week or so I just couldn't stop thinking about how terrible it truly was, & it made me curious about other so-called "foods."

Then my husband & I randomly watched a documentary called "Forks Over Knives."  It advocates "plant-based, whole-foods" eating (i.e., veganisn), and pinpoints animal protein as the sum of all dietary evils. While I usually have a terribly tendency tend to believe everything I hear, I wasn't completely sold.  I think the nutrients we get from meat are important.  Besides, I did the vegetarianism thing for four ,and I wasn't ready to return.

Then I started reading archives from the Passsionate Homemaking blog.

Then we watched "Food, Inc."

And the rest is history...

I've spent the last three months doing a lot of blog-reading and then experimenting in my kitchen.  I have several "keeper" recipes clipped on my fridge, and I've trashed at least twice as many.

My mind has shifted so much that I'd like to share my experiences & thoughts (and recipes) with anyone who might be interested, but I really just want to have a place to collect all my go-to recipes for my own use (in case the printed-out ones get spilled and scribbled on or accidentally trashed).

We've not made any food "laws" for our family, we're just trying to eat altogether "healthier."

And by that I mean: eat more veggies & fruit, and fewer chemical-laden, "processed" foods.

We're not vegans.  We're not paleo.  We're not yet totally "whole foods" or organic, although that is probably a good goal.  We don't judge other people for what they put in their grocery carts.  We certainly won't snub our noses at a cookie made with white flour & white sugar, and we probably have a hard time saying "no" when offered a Coca-cola.

We're just trying to eat better, as much as possible, when we're in our own home.  I am going to be spending lots of time & money preparing meals for my family, anyway.  For me, it is worth it to spend a little extra time and/or money to prepare meals that are at least better than those I've previously made.

And I feel like I just can't turn back after seeing that margarine flow-diagram. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment